View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
When I signed up to the Downs almost two years ago, I had quite a tricky time doing so. My initial signup told me it needed moderator approval, but after a couple of weeks the pending userpage (which looks like this when logged out) had transformed into an Invalid User page (like this). I had to hunt around for an email address for the Barrow-Wight, since non-members or pending members can't send private messages. I think I found one on the non-forum part of the Downs - remember that?
I knew the signup process requires some vetting. That was instituted, if I recall rightly, about 4-5 years ago due to a massive number of spambots.
Some of them used to post, in the effort to show of their sketchy links. Some of those were actually pretty amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
It could well be that the 'new users' are actually all bots or spammers; 'CowboyDumpsters' doesn't exactly have a Tolkien connection, and could be a company name or two random words shoved together. If so, I salute the Barrow-Wight and any other moderators for their service.
I'm no admin, and never have been, but I'm always suspicious of User Names that do seem randomly selected, and have nothing to do with Tolkien. It's those that I never seem to see again after the "welcome" mention at the bottom, while others (like you) do go on to active participation.

Since you mentioned the coming Amazon series, I do wonder also if we'll see a glut of new members on its release. If it stimulates interest in the books, it'll at least (like the PJ movies) have one positive asset.