View Single Post
Old 07-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #26
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
So it will be really interesting - in the way reconstructing an air disaster is “interesting “ - to see hoe these hacks try to build a “second age” out of the Appendices alone without violating copyright. My guess? They will do it with nonstop Hollywood and pulp-fantasy cliches.
My guess is they don't really need to worry too much about copyright violations, as there is some sort of 'case by case' agreement with the Estate. And Simon 'Jackson was too faithful to the books' Tolkien is some sort of 'advisor', (isn't he basically in charge of the Estate since CT's death?).

Quote:
PS They claim to be advised in this project by “Tolkien scholars.” To which my reaction is similar to that of Indiana Jones when told the Ark would be examined by “top men”….

Who?

Which Tolkien scholars? I know who pretty much all if the reputable ones are, and to my knowledge none of them has touched this thing - except Shippey, who quit or was fired within just a few weeks.
Top secret Tolkien scholars. Probably intimately familiar with all the materials in:
Appendix BS