View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #11
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
So the issue is more that the showrunners are technically using something they don't have rights to? Because it seems like the real problem you're underlining is not that the show is discrepant from the legendarium, but that there are discrepancies in Tolkien's own materials. And frankly, this one I would give to the show - imagine if they followed your scenario, what the reaction would be then. People would be shouting from rooftops that the show has no respect for Tolkien if they never heard about the Trees and how the sun and moon were created. I would much rather they stick to The Sil cosmology and Sun&Moon creation myths. And at the very least Telperion makes a brief cameo in LOTR, so while the creation myth is not there (and, in-world, probably long forgotten by anyone who is not an Elf and perhaps a few very keen scholars of history and Elf lore), the Trees are. Well, one Tree.
Correct, the show-runners are using something they don't have the rights to, and I am curious if it is due to ignorance on their part, or if they actually realize it and had to get permission from the Estate.
(Both Telperion and Laurelin are mentioned in LotR, App. A)

I rather doubt that they are that concerned with 'people shouting from the roof-tops', considering all the bending and twisting done.

Last edited by Tar Elenion; 07-15-2022 at 08:41 PM.
Tar Elenion is offline   Reply With Quote