View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #248
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Psh... She's the wife of a character that doesn't even belong in the legendarium. She's very nice and all, but her primary accomplishment seems to be hanging about Tom's house cooking and singing.

She's a Disney princess.
Really? Reread the chapters in FotR where she appears. Tom is, I agree, a clumsy random crazy jumping madman, but Goldberry seems to control weather, water, when Frodo sees her, he starts speaking in verse without any preparation whatsoever. She also seems to speak reasonably when Tom blabbers nonsense. And degrading her to just "being a wife of..." is certainly not very nice, especially given that the husband in question is in fact a kidnapper, in her case.

Quote:
Okay, maybe she belongs ahead of Ar-Zimraphel, whose major life-events were losing the scepter and drowning.
And being the victim of not very nice life-fate comparable to heroines of G.R.R. Martin's books and other ugly stuff.

Quote:
Thuringwethil on the other hand flew about Tol In Gaurhoth and Angband, and presumably ate people.
First part only. "Ate people" is your own assumption, just as you say. And what is there about flying about T-I-G and Angband? Birds, Eagles, stuff, everything flew.

Quote:
Or Aredhel, who was an adventurer/hunter/etc. that the king of Gondolin couldn't do squat to restrain when she felt like hanging out with her cousins. Not to mention she sacrificed herself for her kid, which gets her points.
Aredhel? Actually now that I think about it, why is she not out already? I think, if you say about Ar-Zimraphel that the only thing she managed to do was to lose the scepter and die, I think with Aredhel, it is kind of similar fate. Look also at that - forced to wed some abusive self-centered madman and then dies. But for some reason, I like Zimraphel more. Probably because she is human. And also has cooler name, but that's a detail.

Quote:
And then there's Nerdanel, who set the record for creating kids (and awesome ones at that), and was a great sculptor, and actually captured Feanor's fiery heart for a time, and was the only person that could influence him.
Certainly. That one deserves the credit. But I still like some others more than her.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote