View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Rabbit sled???

Seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I had forgotten just how much I hated albino Mekon Gollum... and what is Elrond doing with the giant icecube?
And absolutely seconded. Giant icecube!

The first trailer was, after watching it several times, pretty good, actually. This one is pretty bad, Inzil's note about Mr. J. J. B. is sadly true (the ending - ouch!). And Radagast-hobo is truly, truly sad. Don't take me wrong, I like hoboes. But this one is really, really wrong. Such a pitiful old loser. This one certainly did not deserve the right to be sent back on any ship in any age. Likewise, Cate Blanchett is certainly beautiful, but the scene makes one really wonder what purpose does her presence serve there. The drowsy-voice spoken quote sounds a bit like when she was in the Two Towers or RotK for no apparent purpose having mind-conversations with Elrond which didn't really make any sense (as in, anybody else could have been saying that there). "Mithrandir, why the halfling?" is already stuck in my head and will probably be a quote repeated on some fitting silly occassions even if I decide to go and see the whole movie. Which I am somehow beginning to doubt after this one.

And I already hate Merry and Pippin. Sorry, I meant Fili and Kili. Because of their accents. I don't know how native English-speakers see this, but that accent just annoys me when it's used on purpose... and here it certainly is. Agan of course already likes them, not only because of how they look, but because they sound like Jon Snow on top of that.

And it is really terrible what they did to the trolls. They are still turtles. Tom, Bert and Bill are supposed to have personalities, for Morgoth's sake! At least the Wolves are not puma-hippo crossbreeds this time, but they still look terribly CGI-zed, if you ask me, just from the few shots. In other words, Smaug is the only hope for a good design that remains to me after seeing this. Because apart from the old characters (like Gandalf) and the more or less neutral portrayal of Bilbo and the Dwarves, they still have the ugly Gollum, they have the ugly trolls, they have Rada"JustCrawledOutOfADustbinOnTheFifteenthAvenue" Gast... *hides face*

I would like to note that I had the best intentions to approach this movie unbiased. This trailer does not help it, though. I can still hope it just happened to be the collection of the worst moments in the movie. Hope.

But okay, not to end on a completely pessimistic note, there is one thing I actually liked and I have to mention it, because I really really think it's good. Despite my initial thoughts about it when the first pics were leaked a long time ago. Thorin is absolutely awesome. He is not really the way I imagine him, but I think (judging of course only from the trailers) he has the potential of becoming the character type of movie Boromir - also completely different from how I imagine him, but really good in his own way. Of course I didn't see much of the other Dwarves except for them bumping their heads together, eating and speaking in silly accents. But Thorin does neither of these, and he is cool. Like, in the full sense of the word. He is serious (unlike the other Dwarves - and I think that perfectly shows the point of Thorin's "aristocraticness" as shown in the first chapter of the Hobbit, thumbs up to that). He is "leader", for certain. Determined. "Burning desire for revenge", indeed, I can imagine he's been feeling that for years. So I take back everything I have said on my initial impression of him being a "second Aragorn" (even though he of course is a bit, but in his case it works well - again, at least from the trailer. It even works well if he is a bit haughty and even a bit arrogant, because he is supposed to be - unlike Aragorn). Thorin might be the reason to make me watch that movie.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote