View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #84
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
from Skip Spence

Quote:
I don't see how that bridge on the picture could be destroyed very quickly no
Very good.

Quote:
As others have pointed out (but you have ignored): JRRTs paintings often contradict his written depictions when it comes to detail.
The illustration of Laketown contradicts not one single description of it or Laketown in THE HOBBIT. If I missed the description of the main Laketwon bridge as something different that what is shown in JRRT's own illustration, please refer me to the portion of the text.

Quote:
Clearly the bridge on the picture can't be "cut", which is what Bard cries out for in the book.
My point to the letter. Thank you for supporting it.

Quote:
The bridges (note the plural form) JRRT had in mind when he wrote the passage in the book therefore must have been different bridges to the one he painted at another occation.
Again, that is the point I made in the post above yours. We agree.

Quote:
Tolkien wrote that the bridge was destroyed quickly and personally I have little difficulty imagining it being done. "It's easy if you try", in the words of John Lennon. Why would you deny yourself the pleasure of it making sense? Or do you perhaps find it more enjoyable to ignore everything that doesn't correlate with your own narrow interpretation of the event.
I save my faith and belief for things that cannot be validated by more mundane forms of observation and proof. In this case, I need not try at all since this is not a matter of faith or belief. One can see with their two eyes. We have the illustration by JRRT himself. I have to accept that, as its creator and maker, he knew what both Laketown and its main bridge looked like.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote