View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 05:05 AM   #5
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Beren
It seems your question got lost in the shuffle, but I will post the copy of my reply, in hopes that it explains a bit.

When I try to listen to the commentary, it first looks as though it is loading an Adobe Reader file or something, but if you wait it starts trying to connect (realplayer) and gives a message that it can’t connect to the server, but if you click OK and hang on it plays anyway. All this takes a bit of time.

What it is basically about is average folk who move to LA and are condescending about Hollywood, but secretly feel they are going to win an Oscar. Sort of like the people who feel they will win the lottery even though they don’t buy a ticket, she says.

Eventually, these people get invited to a Hollywood party, populated by tall beautiful and often black leather clad personages…. Ms. Havrilesky then goes on to describe the party and starts referring to the average citizen attending as a graphic designer who is feeling like a hobbit, and still later on as Frodo (who she describes as having the Cro-Magnon brow and hairy hands). And so on, until I began talking to myself in the car while listening. Finally she talks about how the hobbits learn to avoid such parties, having their own, were they can wear outdated clothes and have cheese dip while watching the Oscars.

Needless to say, it left me wondering who else heard this and how to send a copy of the good professor’s books to the poor woman!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote