View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #71
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
A strange set of names, brought together.
I think Old Nokes also has his place there. This article here says that a Noke is a type of worm. I don't know if Tolkien was aware of that, or if he was simply choosing a common name, but it is certainly quite fitting.

Quote:
So I am left asking the question, if I have been to the edges of Faerie,
Oh, but you're there now!

(Yeah, I know it's a silly thing putting a joke on your location, but it was awfully tempting)

Quote:
and I would like to think to think that I have, allowed to be taken there by Tolkien and Lewis and MacDonald; have I graced my circumstance with a shadow of its riches? I feel and think that I could have done better. I suppose there is still time.
I suppose that we aren't limited to visits as Smith was.

On a second thought, we limit ourselves. When people come to the conclusion that Faerie doesn't exist. And then, like Smith they have only memmories, and like Gimli says, only the Eldar can survive on them. We mortals need something in the present, or at least in the future.

Maybe all we could really get from Faerie is knowledge that it's there and a gust of wind in your hand when you try to grab it. I don't know, and I'm sounding terribly cliche, so I'll stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
It's strange to look in this "mirror". Have you ever done it? What do you see?
There's only stars... for now.

To tell you the truth, I don't really understand what you mean by "this mirror". Are you referring to Faerie?

If so, then... lots of things. There will definitely be trees - many trees. And one will be of the kind that are ancient and big and have lots of branches and you can climb them. Just because I don't see a Faerie without such a tree. And there will be mountains. I was really taken by the mountains in Leaf by Niggle, where they are like a curtain hiding the geater beyond, the (in a good way) unknown, more adventure, another world to discover. Or maybe that's because I always wanted to climb a mountain. Not just be on the top, but actually climb it. And there will be something special about the North "side". Tolkien seemed to have favoured the West, and I seem to favour the North. My favourite star is - you guess it - Polaris. Orion is nice, but Polaris is better.

I guess it'll have a bit of everything. And moreso because every person has a different thing that they see a soul in to add to Faerie. If I see souls in trees and mountains, someone living in the desert could see a soul in the sand (I don't, but that could totally happen), or someone who spent their life in the arctic - in snow.

But that is beside the point. I'm drawing pictures like Niggle did without actually being there. Furthermore, I'm drawing with invisible paint on invisible canvas. Faerie is more a place of that concpt than of that consistency... if that made any sense.

I don't know what to make of my own thoughts.

[/rambling]