Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evisse the Blue
I thought this bit was cute:

From Letter 87 to Christopher Tolkien:
Quote:
'Dear Mr Tolkien, I have just finished reading your book The Hobbit for the 11th time and I want to tell you what I think of it. I think it is the most wonderful book I have ever read. It is beyond description ... Gee Whiz, I'm surprised that it's not more popular ... If you have written any other books, would you please send me their names?'
John Barrow 12 yrs.
West town School, West town, Pa.'
I thought these extracts from a letter I got yesterday would amuse you. I find these letters which I still occasionally get (apart from the smell of incense which fallen man can never quite fail to savour) make me rather sad. What thousands of grains of good human corn must fall on barren stony ground, if such a very small drop of water should be so intoxicating! But I suppose one should be grateful for the grace and fortune that have allowed me to provide even the drop. God bless you beloved. Do you think 'The Ring' will come off, and reach the thirsty?
Your own Father.
It's nice to find that little American boys do really still say 'Gee Whiz'.
This is a favorite of mine too, mostly because I grew up (almost literally) a stone's throw away from the Westtown School. It's nice to see my hometown mentioned.