View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nerindel's post

Taurëwen walk slowly back from her watch of the eastern borders, after her brothers disappearance four months ago she had ask the king's permission to join the watch in her brother stead, With a saddened heart he had granted her request. "The Song of the Greenwood is lost, but it shall ever remain in our hearts" he had told her sympathetically. He had been right after that day she had not had the heart to sing and even now she could not find her voice.

As she walked she suddenly felt a cold shiver run up her spine, she looked up to see the path that ran to the south gate, how she got here she could not fathom, her feet had merely brought her here. She pulled at her green and gold tunic nervously and took a few steps towards the gate, but as she did a short gust of spring wind blew and the trees shook their new leaves in warning. Shivering again, she heeded their warning and did not venture into the thick darkness that lay about the gate, instead she quickly turned and made her way hurriedly to the council halls.

As she neared the Halls she reached out her hand to touch one of the great beech trees that lined the way to the Halls, her heart gladdened that the shadow had not reaches these magnificent trees, she glanced back, the shadow could not be seen from here but it was still heavy on her heart as she crossed the bridge and passed through the great doors of the Woodland halls. Deeper and deeper she went until at last she reached the main atrium.

The meeting had already begun, so she slipped quietly into an empty seat at the back of the circle. She breathed deeply taking in the sweet smells of the wild spring flowers and sweet perfumes that filled the room.

"Friends of old, I know what must be done. A company of nine shall patrol the depths of the wood to unveil this mystery that consumes our realm."

These were the first words she heard as she had blocked out the others concerning the missing elves to prevent her grief from resurfacing. She did not need to look up to know the voice was that of Ceros the commander of Thranduil's army, She could feel her cheeks flush with anger as she listened to [Elf #4] and [Elf #5] speak of the dangers, off course it would be dangerous, but it would be more perilous to sit here and wait for the darkness to engulf us she thought heatedly, but as she was about to rise and air her protest another spoke.

"I disagree with both of you and will follow Ceros. I do not mean to sing my own praises, but I am a decent tracker and if this power is not supernatural, the best among us could stand against it, I am sure."

As she looked up she saw Ihwestaaieleva, Minyahiniwen the bowyers daughter, she drew strength from the younger woman's words and managed to calm herself, then another Elf rose and spoke his piece offering to go with Ceros. The other two were obviously still not convinced and spoke openly, she lowered her head as Orodhîn rose in the defence of his sister.

Taurëwen had harboured secret feelings for the male trainee bowyer before her brothers disappearance, Orodhîn and Ceros had been the last ones to see her brother and they had both been unable to tell her anything of Talas's disappearance. She had been unable to look the young man in the face the last time she had been in his mothers shop, she had practically bolted from the shop when he handed her the silver arrow heads he had made for her.

She continued to listen as Ceros convinced the other Elves to join him, Then she watched as the King consented to let Arië the younger join the company, A wise decision she thought for she knew of the young elf was more attuned to the nature of the woodlands than even she.

Seeing now her opportunity to speak she grasped it "I too will go" she called determinedly "Nooooo" she heard as all eyes locked with hers, she suddenly felt uncomfortable. The cry was her mothers and her father was now walking towards her, he placed his gentle hands on her shoulder and looked at her askingly, "Please understand that I must father " she whispered, " I have to know what this darkness is and from whence it has come ere it consumes me, it already eats at my heart by the taking my beloved brother and by the corruption of beasts and trees of our southern borders" she saw Arië nodding her agreement with her assessment of the border. Her Ithildin nodded then turned to the King and Ceros,

"If you permit it my lord, my daughter shall go with Ceros and the others. She will been of great asset as her healing skills are unsurpassed and she is quite capable in combat."

"You have no need to convince us we know full well the ladies skills " the king assured him "You have my blessing"

Ithildin embraced his daughter then went to reassure and comfort his wife.
Taurëwen took her place silently with the others and awaited the kings bidding.