View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003, 12:29 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Kates Frodo Temp's post

The tall, well-built Elf named Ainemetion was just returning from a solitary walk in the wood. It was so beautiful in springtime, he could hardly keep away! Everything was so fresh, so alive!
When he reached home, Ainemetion was puzzled to see his father at the door to greet him.

“Council,” he growled. “You should go.”

“Oh, yes! Go!” His mother, Evien, rejoined.

“Alright. I’ll see you when I get back.” The door slammed shut.

Ainemetion slipped quietly into the Council hall, hoping he had not disturbed the other, far older Elves. He took an empty seat and settled in, preparing to hear what he knew would be a lengthy and intriguing conversation. He expected the council was concerned with the strange disappearance of several of the best Elf warriors. Ainemetion listened as a respected Elf named Ceros began to speak.

“Friends of old, I know what must be done. A company of nine shall patrol to the depths of the wood to unveil this mystery that consumes our realm. I propose that--

Ainemetion sat silently for a moment, staring at the intrepid Ceros. Did he really believe anyone would accompany him? Even if they did, what made the hotheaded Elf think they would come back? Ainemetion was the last one to reject a plan to protect his beloved home, but this was insane! He could not keep silent.

“Hold a moment! This is dangerous!” protested Ainemetion, leaping to his feet. “It is madness to explore something we know so little about. No one who has met this peril has lived. It is insanity to risk the lives of yet more people.” His brow furrowed in disturbance as he glanced around the room for support. Another came to his aid.