View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #162
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Admittedly it is a long real world time since the brothers were in Bree which is largely my fault however her Dad only went up to Bree when the brothers weren't back as expected so there is a window of opportunity there. Filbert knows Edwin was the ringleader and when I left Erling he was asking Filbert what was going on. The remainder of the group may have got back to Bree by now.

So it may well be that the fact that only Jess and Edwin are still missing is only just known in Bree and if Edwin's dad is self pitying and self concerned he may just be coming up to speed. Do imagine a conversation if you wish. I don't think Erling would blame Edwin but he might get a bit annoyed that HIS sons are out in the Snow on the downs doing the looking while E's dad is moping. And of course he has already lost the family he was born into - though that isn't widely known, and Jess is the pet lamb so he may not be very sympathetic.

Oh you did have Edwin worry about what his mother would do when he got back (post 17!!)so that should be changed to Father (I read through over the fourday weekend!!! )Don't feel bad -not your fault Jessamy came with such a large supporting cast.

As to the future I have been a bit stumped because Bree is such an isolated, limited place and Jess would need very strong reason to cause so much upset again. She would definitely want to keep up with Karl. She might have learnt a trade and be "let out"! to go to a market in the Shire or somewhere and use it as a cover to visit the Elves or something - but I can't imagine what dire danger she might meet there.

Perhaps if her father died in the interim, her mother would be very keen to have her "settled" (ie married) and Jess would be very keen not to be. With her father gone and brothers mainly by then more occupied by her own families she might have a huge row with her mother and make a bid for freedom - maybe go south and try to see where her father came from. That would be potentially more dangerous but exactly how it would manifest I don't know,

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-27-2011 at 08:21 AM.