View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #272
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"My lord," he said. "May I speak to you?" Eodwine turned. It was Garstan. The timing was really very bad. The horse race had begun, and Léof, his very own ostler, was in the thick of it!

"After this race!" He said. "Léof our ostler is riding in this one. See!"

"Well I'll- So he is!" Garstan hooked his arms over the fence alongside Eodwine and they along with Saeryn watched, mouths agape. Little by little awed silence gave way to muttered wishes in Léof's interest.

"Come on, come on!" said Eodwine.

"He's making a move!" Garstan cried presently.

"Oh, oh! What if he wins!" Saeryn cried.

"Come on!! Come on!!" Eodwine cried with abandon, his eyes wide, his neck taut.

"That big black's catching him!" Garstan muttered.

"Oh please no!" Saeryn begged.

Eodwine almost said that the black seemed to be tiring, but no. He knew horses. That black was being reined in, or at least he thought maybe. Next instant, Léof was across the finish line. Garstand and Saeryn whooped, and Eodwine found himself the recipient of a quick ecstatic embrace from Saeryn. Then she was jumping up and down in her excitement.

"He won! He won!" she was crying.

That had been nice, Eodwine thought, but he had not forgotten the strange nature of Léof's win. He wondered who owned that black.

"Let's go to Léof!" Eodwine said, and started walking.

"Lord!" Garstan said, suddenly reminded of his question. "About the kitchen. I was thinking....."

"Talk while we walk, Garstan. Coming, Saeryn?"