View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #27
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
What do you mean when you say "but it did eventually show up"?! Are you refering to the time when the fellowship enters Moria, or do you think it eventually showed up to the final battle against Balins colony?! I find it hard to believe that the Balrog got lost in Moria, which by all means was his realm, and that it took him 5 years (!) to finally find the Dwarves. I really doubt that. Furthermore I have yet to find evidence that the Balrog took part in this final battle anyway.
Whatever else might be said about the Balrog, he was either mostly dormant or had become profoundly reclusive. I think it was a little bit of both.

He and the orcs had to be aware of each other and through the orcs awareness, Sauron must have been aware of him too. Unlike Smaug, who Sauron wanted to utilize, the Balrog was in Moria with Sauron's servants and yet the Balrog never left Moria. Was Sauron not interested in utilizing the Balrog in the war, or did the Balrog just refuse to participate?

Personally I think the Balrog's primary motivation was a desire to be left alone. He may have found being on the losing end of the War of Wrath a scarring experience. He may have slept through Balin's occupation, or perhaps he had no desire to meddle with them and possibly alert the world to his presence. Sauron's orcs returning to destroy the colony may have roused him in some way.

Then here comes the Fellowship causing noise and bother. It must have been annoying.