View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #20
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx
That is a fair point about the Balrog not being awoken by the battles between the dwarves and the goblins, but it did eventually show up. Maybe it was trying to find a way up to them?
What do you mean when you say "but it did eventually show up"?! Are you refering to the time when the fellowship enters Moria, or do you think it eventually showed up to the final battle against Balins colony?! I find it hard to believe that the Balrog got lost in Moria, which by all means was his realm, and that it took him 5 years (!) to finally find the Dwarves. I really doubt that. Furthermore I have yet to find evidence that the Balrog took part in this final battle anyway.

Quote:
On the topic of knowing the ring was there, Maiar like Gandalf and Saruman were not aware if the ring was with them unless they could physically see it. After all, it IS still just a ring.
I said earlier that I find this rigid ranking of supernatural beings to be very problematic. The equation "Gandalf and Saruman are Maiar. The Balrog is a Maia aswell. Therefore these three beings have to share the same features" simplifies and blurres the constellation, or relationship, of these different beings. We do not learn anything about the Maiar in the Lord of the Rings because it´s unnecessary information (regarding this context). We do not know that Gandalf, Saruman and the Balrog allegedly have the same essence and origin. What we know is that Gandalf is an wizard and the Balrog is a supernatural and powerful being of evil. We also know that the Ring attracts evil creatures in general. So in this case I would argue that the Balrog did not need to know about the Ring, in any practical way, to be aware and drawn by it.

Edit to clarify: It is hard to determine in what way exactly the Balrog got drawn by the ring. But it doesn´t need to be like a force which turns the Balrog into a mindless slave, leaving him with no choice or will in this matter. It could very well be more like a presence of some kind which draws the Balrogs attention and curiosity.

Quote:
The watcher in the water would be an interesting topic for debate, but it is likely that the Balrog was a more powerful entity, more resistant to the magic of the ring. I doubt the Balrog would have pursued the ring because he would not have seen it. It can have a hold on people, but they do need to be somewhat close to it. Sauron's power wasn't so great that people would always go towards the ring like a magnet.
If the Ring doesnt hold the power to draw evil creatures "like a magnet" why is Frodo so often the primary target of evil creatures who attack the fellowship as a whole?! Why does the watcher in the water grab Frodo first? Why does the Orc captain throw himself with his spear against Frodo?! Why did Shelob ignore Sam to chase Frodo down?! Those are a few to many cases to be mere coincidences. And here is one of Gandalfs remarks to Frodo about this subject:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The lord of the rings;The fellowship of the ring;The shadow of the past
These Rings have a way of being found. In evil hands it might have done great evil. Worst of all, it might have fallen into the hands of the Enemy. Indeed it certainly would; for this is the One, and he is exerting all his power to find it or draw it to himself.
Quote:
If the Balrog was drawn to the ring, would he have not tried to go past Gandalf, rather than fight him in honourable battle?
Well, it did try to go past Gandalf, didn´t it?! Hence Gandalfs famous "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" outcry. To get any further it had to confront and fight Gandalf because he was standing in its way (on a narrow bridge). Where did you get the idea that the Balrog fought Gandalf because it was the honourable thing to do?!

Last edited by Leaf; 09-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote