View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 04:08 PM   #8
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I don't think I've ever posted about how I came to be a member of the forum--if I have, it's long enough ago and on some thread obscure enough that I think I can retell it here.

My final year of high school there was a girl a year older than me who moved into town to go to college there--moved something like 1500 miles from Ohio to western Canada--and she became a member of our parish and we got to know each other as members of the relatively small youth group.

(Side note: I definitely had a crush on her--she's the reason I joined the parish choir.)

Obviously, one of the things she learned about me is that I was a Tolkien fan--a Tolkien snob, really--and at some point asked if I knew any Tolkien fan forums. I did not; my knowledge of online forums was limited to only thing I'd ever really spent time researching online: LEGO. To be honest, as a teenager with strong anti-movie feelings at the height of the movie era, I was a bit leery of fan forums, and said so. She told me that her sister was a member of a forum I might like somewhat better: the Barrow-downs.

Well, as the Christmas holidays were winding down, I did, in fact, join the forum. Eighteen years later, I have no idea what became of her (this was pre-Facebook), save that I believe she moved back to Ohio. I once knew her sister's username, but I think even early in my time here I was unsure of it, and at this point I have only the vague impression that it was a three- or four-syllable username starting with an "N."

It's funny how things turn out. I don't think her sister was ever a huge poster; certainly, my friend wasn't. But the Downs would become a major part of the next decade for me, and a major part of the big, 3000 mile move that *I* would make five years later.