View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 10:04 PM   #12
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> the visualisation presented in the films does not spoil the books for me. Indeed, if anything, it enhances my enjoyment of the books <P>the original story and the original characters are still there when I pick up the books again. I can, to a degree, divorce the films from the books and enjoy them as films.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Saucepan Man, I couldn't have said it better myself. I love the movies tremendously. They are masterpieces as far as I am concerned - on their own merits and with regard to Tolkien's world.<P>Of course they aren't perfect adaptations of the books and of course some things disappointed me. But I can "divorce" those parts, as you said. Whenever I get upset about the change in the Aragorn-Arwen and Aragorn-Eowyn relationships, I just remind myself that those aren't the "real" characters that I have come to love. The Aragorn I am fond of is in the books. And when the Aragorn in the movies departs from the book, I remember his true character and enjoy that.<P>But the movies provide a wealth of material, especially with visualizations. While I may not approve of Aragorn's total representation, the movie Aragorn is still a favorite of mine because now I get to see the Aragorn in my mind. Also, reading Boromir's death will never be the same to me again. In my opinion, it has improved dramatically with Sean Bean's excellent portrayal.<P>To sum up, the movies can add tremendous wealth to our love for Tolkien. But if parts of the films bother you or your vision of Tolkien, drop them or accept them as different.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote