Thread: LotR2-TTT_Seq23
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Macalaure
Fading Fėanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I agree that a Nazgūl at Osgiliath is at least plausible. I mean, the city is under attack, and somebody has to lead the soldiers. And who else could do that? Some white, deformed orc? I think not.

I may have to rewatch the scene again, but I always thought that the Nazgūl ceases from Frodo because his fell beast has been shot at. The creature just flies away hurt and dismayed, disobeying his master. Even though the Nazgūl can no longer sense the Ring, knowing that it was there a moment ago would usually make him search even more intense. And without Merry near to throw a bag of vegetables...
Sadly, this unpleasant encounter will not make the Nazgūl fear Gondorian archers in the near future.

As nice as it is to have Book-Faramir at last, I don't get what exactly it is that makes him change his mind, too. Sure we can sense that he didn't really like his decision beforehand, but now he sees Frodo almost handing over the Ring to the Nazgūl and this makes him come to the conclusion: "Hey, let's send this weak creature into Mordor. He will surely take better care of it than the descendants of Westernesse could in Minas Tirith."
Ah, but I guess it's too close to the end of the movie for the moviemakers to spare the time and add sense to this.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote