View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #12
Ring Bearer
Animated Skeleton

Ring Bearer has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
As I said above, the history of this site is subjective; varying based upon point of view.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................

In December 2001, Boston.com named the Barrow-Downs as a Tolkien “mega-site.”
So this is where we were during the first couple of years, until December 2001. And then the first movie came out…

Thank you for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I made a point of haunting the Movies section, arguing against not merely the way the films were being made, but of their very existence. I just didn't see the need for them.

My opinion was shared by a few others, but we were quite definitely in the minority. That's almost certainly even more so now. I still like reading those threads even today.
You would have to agree that the references to LOTR and quotes from Tolkien wouldn't have been as common as they are in today's world.
LOTR is pretty popular in the Silicon Valley for example.
Btw, the colour scheme has remained unchanged for 21+ years!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
so I think the 24th July 1999 is the genuine launch date for the site.
Well, that's older than my zygote.