View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #4136
Nikolasha
Newly Deceased

Nikolasha has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I second that. Welcome aboard, Nikolasha, and please do share your thoughts about Sam! I was also introduced to Tolkien by my parents, though for me LOTR was the first one. It would be fascinating for me to find out what you think of LOTR as a first time reader - that time for me was long enough ago that the impression has worn off under the impressions of re-reads.
Thank you!

This is the second time I'm reading it, though the first time that I'm really stopping to analyze it. I don't know that 2 read-throughs are enough to really wrap my head around it--every chapter I come across tons of things that I had missed the significance of the first time around. My friend and I only just finished the Fellowship yesterday, so that's what's currently fresh in my mind. But what has stood out so far is all the foreshadowing, like how Gandalf very scrupulously doesn't promise to accompany them the whole way.

My Sam thoughts are mostly just a very emphatic GOD, I LOVE SAM. I remember watching the movies as a kid thinking "all those pots and pans must have been kind of heavy to carry to Mordor, I wonder why Sam brought them with him." As a adult with a pretty extensive cast iron pan collection, all I can think is that he must be VERY dedicated to making sure he and his companions (or really, mostly just Frodo) eat well. Which I find admirable, but also very endearing!
Nikolasha is offline   Reply With Quote