View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #31
teleriferchnyfain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
Who said its over? Look at this forum! It has only just gotten started...
Over, LOL. It's been, well, let's just say since the 60s since I first read (and re-read, & learned the Tengwar, & etc etc etc) these books. ALL of these books, of course, not just LOTR. I'm thinking there will be Tolkien forums when all of us are dead and buried.

I love these films. I know Jackson took liberties. I wish he'd used more of the songs from LOTR - he did at least used Tolkien's Road goes Ever On I could have done without the opera-cloaked elves at Helm's Deep (couldn't we have had the Rangers? ) And of course I would have loved for each film to have been 6 hours long each so all the stuff could have been included...LOL

But these were films. Think of it as a mythological body of works that Tolkien chronicled, instead of 'this way & only this way' This is easier to do after reading the Lost Tales and the Silmarillion (talk about variations on a theme - it is VERY much like reading all the different versions of Greek myths). Jackson made the actual PLACE come alive, then did his own slightly different take on the myths.
That's how I look at the films - and therefor I can love them entirely, sob my way thru them (yes, I do, my children call me a geek, ~sigh~) and still read and adore Tolkien himself.

BB
Teleri