View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #64
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
I think Faery happens when we see the beauties that were there all the time, but we did not see, that God put there for us to find, hoping that in them we would be called to His beauty.
Exactly. Like Frodo in the scene on Cerin Amroth you mentioned:
Quote:
He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful.
(Btw isn't it marvellous how Tolkien makes us share Frodo's experience here and, just by naming the colours, evokes them before our inner eye in newborn splendour?)
And I have to echo LMP's Wow!. That whole post was mindblowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
Since it's about glimpses of eternal Beauty, and tasting God's life, that's why I think cultures of death don't fit. So while Ireland has plenty of Faerie, I wouldn't look for Faerie in a typical Irish wake. Yet, for MacDonald, a Scot who sees death in a very different way, death is drenched in Faerie because Death is the doorway to life eternal
And isn't Faerie somehow intimately related to Death? At least in some versions of folk belief the fairies are the Dead, or the dead go to live with the fairies, and the Otherworld is also the Underworld (cf Evans-Wentz's The fairy-faith in Celtic countries). In Welsh mythology, Gwyn ap Nudd is king of the Fair Folk and the gatherer of dead souls.

I think the difference with Egypt and Greece is that they kept the world of the Dead safely separated from the world of the Living - at least the Egyptians did, with their pyramids and embalming culture; and Odysseus had to find the entrance to the underworld and make the right offering to conjure up the spirit of Teiresias - , whereas in the North and Northwest the border between the two worlds seems to be thinner, permitting crossovers in both directions.

Not sure how (if at all) this is relevant to Smith - I have to admit it's thirty years since I read it, and my memory's a bit hazy. Time for a reread.