Thread: Curse of Túrin
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I also quite like Túrin's tale in all its forms. There are things in his story I don't find elsewhere in Tolkien's works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvegil145 View Post
To begin again, I think that Morgoth had no power over Húrin, Túrin, Morwen or Niënor. I think that all their woe stems from their pride - only Ilúvatar had any power over his Children - Elves and Men - their origin comes from Eru Himself - and none other than Eru can change or alter their fate.
I've advanced the "pride" aspect here myself. I see a great deal in Túrin's woes that are mainly attributable to his own thickheadedness, and refusal to take advice of others.

Quote:
HOWEVER - I think that Glaurung WAS MORGOTH HIMSELF - in other words, Morgoth dispersed himself, as in the matter of Arda, to Glaurung himself - and in his irrational malice he used his "avatar" Glaurung, so to speak, to get revenge on Húrin and his offspring.
Touching on that, I've wondered why Glaurung, a "creation" of Morgoth, was able to affect Túrin and Nienor the way he did, with respect to their mesmerized-like state in his presence (after meeting his eyes), while Morgoth in person was not capable of forcing Húrin to divulge what he knew about Gondolin. Did Morgoth spend that part of himself in the spirit of Glaurung? Old Bond-villain Morgoth might have missed an opportunity there by not giving the dragon a crack at Húrin.

Quote:
Now, I know that Tolkien had some qualms about Túrin killing Morgoth FOR REAL, but I think it would have been none other than Túrin Turambar, Conqueror of Fate himself, to strike Morgoth with a final blow, with his BLACK sword Gurthang, Iron of DEATH, into the BLACK heart of Morgoth, thus vanquishing Morgoth, the black foe of Arda, forever - avenging both his kin and ALL the children of Men - thus also bringing to naught Morgoth's curse over his kin.
Wasn't that part of the cryptic Second Prophesy of Mandos mentioned by CT somewhere? Doubtless one of our resident Tolkien Scholars® will know more about that.

Overall, I like to read about Túrin and I do pity him, but he really did bring a lot of his troubles on himself. Whether Morgoth's curse had any real teeth or not, Túrin had chances to turn aside from the path Morgoth laid for him, and spurned them because of his pride. He's not a guy I would have wanted to buddy up with, that's for sure.