View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #100
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
"Sleeps." Mellondu considered the word, and there was a long silence. Mellondu glanced at Erebemlin, who had called the halt, standing out by the grazing horses. They were not far from the snowline, and they had debated leaving the horses behind.

"Sleeps." Raefindan was waiting for an answer. Mellondu ran his hand through his hair, and gazed at the ground. Finally he shrugged, and shook his head. "I do not know." Then he glanced again over at the tall elf, and then at Aeron, dug at the ground with his foot, and shrugged again.

Aeron and Raefindan exchanged glances. Mellondu dug at the ground with his foot again. "I wish we could just get this over, and go home, " he groused.

Aeron stifled a grin. "Then it would seem, " he said, "Raefindan's question needs an answer."

"Why?" The blacksmith glared at the thief.

"How are we supposed to finish this thing without him?" said Aeron.

"Why do you want to do home?" asked Raefindan. "I never asked you before. I know your family is important to you, but -- is there someone else who draws you home? A close friend?"

Mellondu shook his head.

Aeron said, "Perhaps a young lady?" Raefindan winced and shot him a warning glare.

But Mellondu shrugged. "No." His gaze became faraway. "No, no one." He scuffed the ground again, and then with another shrug, turned to wander away. "No one."

Aeron waited til he was far enough away, and then whispered to Raefindan, "That didn't look like 'no one' to me. There's a girl."

Raefindan thought about that. "I'm not so sure, " he said. "I wonder." He watched Mellondu wander toward the elf, and then watched as the elf gave the lad another of his archery lessons. It was brief, just enough to stretch the muscles, and Mellondu seemed resigned. Then the lad went to his tall red horse-- Ędegard's horse, but Mellondu had ridden him for months now. Echo snuffled him, and Mellondu rubbed the broad red shoulder, gazing up into the bright snow.

"The snow over the pass will be shallow, and melting, " said Erebemlin. "We will bring the horses. But we must be careful."

"Think you can handle it, old fellow?" said Mellondu.

Erebemlin said "He is not old."

But instead of snapping at the elf, Mellondu only nodded, and said, "I know."

Last edited by mark12_30; 09-25-2007 at 01:51 PM.