View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #143
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Tollers and Jack fishing...

"Actually, we won't be fishing in the Baranduin, Jack. I'd love to go down to the big river but there's not enough time today. The Stockbrook cuts through the southern portion of the village and runs just across the road from the Inn. Plus, it has a good supply of brown trout along with lots of other fish."

It took only a few minutes of walking until they arrived at the bank of the small river. They walked downstream a few paces. Ahead of them, they could glimpse a bend in the river where a large tree grew with low hanging bows. Tied to one of these boughs was a small grey boat with two oars, just large enough to carry a hobbit and a man.

"She's my beauty," beamed Tollers, with obvious pride. '"I call her "The Brandy". Tollers paused a minute and then went on in a voice tinged with some regret, "Still, I only putter about in the waters near Stock. You know, Jack, you're a lucky fellow. From the sound of it, you've been all over. Unfortunately, I've been nowhere at all. They say that this river begins in the forests above Woody End, and flows through the Marish until it comes here. If you walk a bit further upstream, you'll see where it empties into the Baranduin, a few miles north of Bucklebury Ferry. I guess you must have come by way of the ferry to get to the Shire. From there, the Baranduin runs south for a long, long way. Some folk even claim it goes all the way to the Sea, but I couldn't say for sure one way or the other."

Tollers confessed, "I've only been to Woody End once and, as for the Sea, I've never even seen it. I'm ashamed to say, but I haven't even been to Bree. Maybe someday, you and I can travel together to Bree, and I could meet your friends, and family, and such."

Bu that time, they had reached the boat. Tollers squatted down and took out two poles, each with a line, a sinker, a float, and a small hook attached. "Alright, now, no use wasting time on regrets. Take whichever one you like, then we'll get inside and row a bit upstream to a place I know that's wonderful for fish. Nice, deep, shady waters. They love to go there in the late afternoon."

Last edited by Tevildo; 07-16-2006 at 02:19 AM.