View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #134
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
A wooden platter rested next to Primrose's arm, laden with neatly chopped potatoes, carrots, celery, and other vegetables for the next meal. She chopped away furiously, hoping to distract herself from her still aching leg by working.

"Primrose, how are you holding out? Are you tired yet?"

The knife stopped clattering against its cutting board. Primrose placed it at the edge of her piled work and thoughtfully took a sip of tea before answering. She was tired. Dreadfully tired, in fact, from the triple strain of the fall, fighting against pain, and her earlier (and still not completely resolved, though she wasn't sure why) worry for Will. But the only way Primrose thought she could stop herself from collapsing into tears and sleep was to keep working. At least until evening, when she could retreat to her room and, free from prying eyes, allow her exhaustion to show. But not now.

"Tired? I don't know. I suppose I'm no more tired than could be expected. Leastways, I'm not tired enough to drop my work when there's still something I could be doing here." She took another sip of the tea and smiled, only a droop at the corner of her eye and a slight faintness to the smile betraying her true weariness.