View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The Father Christmas Letters are real letters which Tolkien wrote for his children, each year for Christmas, from 1920 and 1943. They are written as letters from Father Christmas himself or an elf helper, describing events in their life in the past year and set in the North Pole. Tolkien illustrated them himself. Each was delivered in an envelope with a stamp, drawn by Tolkien. They are whimsical and quite delightful.

They were originally published three years after Tolkien's death, edited by Baillie Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien's second wife. There are several editions and I believe the latest includes letters and illustrations not included in the original, but the exact number I don't know. I've read only some of them.

The scientist (Professor of Physics and Astronomy) and Tolkien scholar Kristine Larsen recently gave a paper on "Aurora and the Father Christmas Letters" at the International Medieval Congress at Leeds this summer, if you are inclined to search for it. She has more than a few publications on astronomy and Middle-earth.