View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
LOTR - A Long-Postponed Re-Read

Mods, is it OK for me to start this thread? I haven't actually read LOTR from cover to cover since my second complete perusal of it almost thirty years ago, although I have dipped into it on many occasions.

I've finally found the time to completely reread it again, (that is to say, I finished "The Council of Elrond" this morning, and do not intend to start anything else until I have finished the whole book, including the Appendices), and thought it might be interesting to share new insights/similarities and differences in my reaction to it now as compared with my reactions as a much younger person.

I would be fascinated to hear other posters' changing reactions to the book too (or even non-changing, as the case may be!) I don't read LOTR every year, but I have a strong memory for texts that I really connect with, and I am now discovering the bits I had forgotten, through not periodically re-reading the entire work.

I know there are threads discussing each chapter, but I was thinking more of general impressions, and how they change.

Again, if there is already a thread covering this, I apologise and will await deletion.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 10-13-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote