View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
Lalaith:
Quote:
The Valar seem more like the Aesir/Vanir to me than the Graeco-Roman gods. For example, Vaire, the weaver who depicts past, present and future, is reminiscent of the Norns, who weave fate into their tapestries.
I agree. Both the Valar and the Aesir (is it called that in English? Asar in Swedish...) are parts of a polytheistic world, altough the mythology of ME features a monotheistic faith as well in the form of Eru. As with the Aesir (or greek/roman or egyptian) gods, each Vala has it's own speciality. One could for example compare Manwe with Odin, the kings of the Valar/Aesir, both great in wisdom. And of course the parallel between Vaire and the Norns. And yes, to me the Valar feels closer to the Aesir than to the Greek/Roman gods.

And as reply to Anguirel: I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I'm not questioning the greatness of the British heritage from Celts/Saxons/Normans. But I do believe that Tolkien felt that it was not enough, he wanted ONE mythology for the English people to which they could trace their roots, something that do not exist in England. "It's the winner that writes the history" (free translation from swedish), the conquerors of Britain: Normans and before them Saxons and even before them the Celts, became the dominating people and their myths and legends took over the original tales. But enough about Britain, as I know you englishmen know your history much better than I do. What's worse is that it looks like you know the history and legends of Scandinavia better than me too!

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote