View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 10:31 PM   #28
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> JRRT says that Bombadil's house will be the last place to fall to Sauron's might. Then he says its Rivendell. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The quote about Bombadil was made by Glorfindel. He said, "I think that in the end, if all else is conquered, Bombadil will fall, Last as he was First".<P>Now Glorfindel is an awesome guy, but we can't necessarily assume his assumption is correct (I bet you don't see assume and assumption in the same sentence very often). And by the way, did you notice he began his statement with <B>I think</B>. Gandalf didn't start his statement about Rivendell being the last place to fall with <B>I think</B>. Yes it's true that Gandalf said there were other powers, but he still said that Rivendell would last the longest.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Then he says that Lorien will stand against everything until the Dark Lord himself shows up in Loriens borders <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It's very possible that Rivendell wouldn't fall either unless Sauron himself came.<P>By the way, about Lorien not falling until Sauron comes, where is that quote? It sounds familiar to me, but I can't remember who said it or when.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think that probably the reason why JRRT said that Elrond would be especially capable, among the guardians of the 3, of weilding the One Ring was because Galadriel still had a terrible lust for power. With Elrond, instead, it would be a better Elf Lord with the one ring because his main goal was not power. And then the specially capable would mean capability in terms of elven qualities. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Tolkien specifically said that Elrond was especially "capable of wielding the Ring and supplanting the Dark Lord" if Galadriel was capable herself. When it comes to weilding the Ring and supplanting the Dark Lord, being a nice, not power hungry person doesn't help. You need sheer power. And once he took up the ring and started using it, he wouldn't be the same guy anyway (no one would be the same if they used it).<P>And also, regarding the mental struggles, I doubt Galadriel ever dealt with Sauron's full attention. Remember this line from ROTK?<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and even at that moment all the hosts of Mordor trembled, doubt clutched their hearts, their laughter failed, their hands shook and their limbs were loosed. The Power that drove them on and filled them with hate and fury was wavering, its will was removed from them; and now looking in the eyes of their enemies they saw a deadly light and were afraid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That quote is not from when the ring is destroyed, that's what happens when Sauron realizes that the ring is near the Cracks of Doom and he focuses all his attention there.<P>Sauron had to constantly focus some of his will on his many servants, or they would act the way they did in the above passage. Things wouldn't get done the way he wanted. He was also looking for the ring all the time, checking the scene in his palantir, corrupting Denethor and Saruman, and doing other things that required his attention. He was spread thin, and was a great distance from Lorien.<P>And what did he care if Galadriel knew (or thought she knew) a few things? It wasn't as if he was focusing on her. Gondor came first. If Gondor would've fallen, then he'd take out Rohan, and only then would Lorien have the majority of his attention.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I must say that I think I really am underestimating Elrond... Probably because of the fact that the movies have influenced me a lot, more than what the books did so far <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It's not your fault. I'm sure that the vast majority of people who have seen the movie and read the book have had a similar experience. Just the other day when my dad and I were watching TTT, he said "Wait, in the book wasn't Eomer already in Helm's Deep with Aragorn?" I had to think for a second before answering "Yeah, he was". I had to stop and remember what was movie and what was book. That's why I don't really like events and characters being changed in the movies.<p>[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]