View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 01:46 AM   #9
Glad

Boots

Hello there. I'm a traveller in these parts come from distant lands. I hope you will bear with me for a while. <P>I have wondered about why Peter Jackson made Elrond the leader of all the Elves. At first I couldn't understand it at all. Why was Haldir coming with a message from Elrond? In fact, it makes good sense for this to happen in the film. It binds together the Arwen /Elrond scene to where the action is (and Aragorn) very nicely and it helps us to see the Elves as a cohesive group rather than the fractured communities that they are in the book.<BR>Imagine if Haldir had said 'I come from Galadriel', it would not have had the same power. Galadriel is an observer, the narrater, an ethereal being. Elrond is the mover and shaker in Middle Earth, it was his Council everybody went to. Rivendell is brim full of counsellors and of course, he has human blood in his veins. The sense we get of telepathic communication between Elrond and Galadriel is a masterful sleight of hand on behalf of Peter Jackson. All the logistics of distance are dealt with at once.<P>I have to say I think all the Elves cop it at Helms Deep, the only way they could deal with them afterwards is to reference the oncoming battle at Dol Guldur, but I doubt it.