View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #349
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Camlost, the crow

Camlost would have hopped back and forth on his legs, but he had only one. So, he made do with an awkward bobbing up and down. The wolf seemed friendly enough, on the one hand. And much to his surprise had spoken quite intelligently to him. On the other hand, there were those large, sharp teeth, and the fact that he mentioned he was hungry.

With one beady black eye fixed on the wolf, Camlost fluttered down to a lower branch. The wolf backed up a pace and sat on his haunches, giving the crow a measure of assurance.

‘The name is Camlost,’ he said to the wolf. The crow looked toward the Inn, watching the smoke curl up from the Inn kitchen. ‘How about I do a fly about and get back to you. I’ll see what’ll be easy for us to snag.’

A short while later and he was winging his way back, landing in a flurry of dust in the dirt in front of the wolf. Draug had lain back down, resting his head on his front paws. He sneezed at the intrusion of dust to his snout, nearly blowing over the already unsteady crow.

'Well?' he asked, his yellow eyes appraising the wobbly bird.

'Well,' returned Camlost, 'at the back of the Inn, along the sills of two of the kitchen windows, the cook has set out four lovely, large meat pies she is cooling for lunch later.' He winked at the wolf and continued. 'I'm sure she won't miss just one . . .!'

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]