View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 02:06 PM   #337
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nerindel's post - Taurėwen

Taurėwen silently followed Reynion up the stairs, not even noticing the soft steady clunk_clunk_clunk as his wooden leg met each step. All she could hear was the rhythmic pounding of her own heart drumming in her ears. What did he need to ask? she wondered, more than a little fearful of the answer.

The soft click of a door opening brought her attention back to Reynion, he was holding the door waiting for her to step inside. The room was bare of any sign that it was in use, the only sign that the room belonged to the male elf was the sword that stood on its own in a dark corner of the room, alone it seemed, almost as if it had been discarded without care.

Shaking the thoughts from her mind, she turned to face Reyn, the sharp bright grey eyes that she remembered where all but dulled, by bad memories and the fire that once burned within them doused by drink. But as she held his searching gaze she perceived yet a small glimmer of light within them, a last dying ember waiting to be stoked in to life, if only she could find the fuel to re-light the fire he had lost.

"What is it, beloved" she gently urged, perceiving his increasing uneasiness.

She listened patiently as he struggled to find the words to express that which he needed to say. "Why me?" he asked finally, causing Taurėwen to step back a little in surprise.

"I'm not wise, even if elves are supposed to be, I'm not brave, I've only one leg, I left you without word, I'm a drunk. Why did you choose me out of all the elves in middle-earth?" he continued.

The question had indeed taking her by surprise, though she knew it shouldn't have. She looked at him thoughtfully a little dismayed that he thought so little of himself and he could not see what she could.

"I know why I love you. You're beautiful and wise and wonderful and kind and giving" he added as she paused, her cheeks flushed with quiet embarrassment, but before she could answer Reynion spoke more, "I'm no of those things" he went on, trying unsuccessfully to lighten his tone, Especially not beautiful, " he finished lowering his eyes.

"Are you not!" Taurėwen smiled gently raising an asking eyebrow, but she waited not for an answer.

"Was it not you who selflessly dived into freezing waters to save an elf that was not yet your friend? Was it not you who stood by his companion as they fought the spiders and orcs that infested our Greenwood? and was it not you who killed ....." her voice trailed here a little but she forced herself to go on, "the halforc Rhtalk?" A braver elf I have yet to meet she smiled warmly, though the thought of the halforc made her shiver.

"Kindness!" she continued. "Was it not you who came when my wisdom failed me? Was it not you who agreed to help me heal the lost ones, my brother included? and was it not you who watched over me when I collapsed each night with exhaustion. Her voice was soft and held only simple truth, but as she saw Reynion lower his head at the mention of her brother, she gently reached out her hands lifting his chin, "I have never blamed you for his loss, so you should not either, those who took his life have long since paid. Talas died free of the evil spell, a loyal elf of the greenwood and for that I am glad." she smiled with only the faintest glimmer of pain in her voice.

Her legs tiring from standing so long she sat on the edge of the bed and waited for Reyn to join her before continuing. "My heart had made it's choice before even I was aware," she whispered softly. "Only when circumstance threw us together did I realise what my heart already knew." At Reynion's puzzled expression she explained.
"Only once did I see you in the woods of our home, but each time after, when I walked that forest path I found comfort and safety, that I could not explain and yet did not question, content in that comfortable and safe place." Her soft eyes closing as she recalled the times she walked the green glades without care or fear. "Always did I feel your silent presence." She whispered her eyes still closed in remembering, but a warm and loving smile lit her face.

Her eyes opened and her smile faded slightly, "with the disappearance of my brother and the darkening of the woods these feeling became stifled and lost and the woods no longer gave me comfort as they once did. But that first night on our mission then I wondered to collect fire wood and you joined me, that same feeling of comfort and safety returned to me and as we journeyed this feelings grew, but in foolish pride, I suppose, I tried to bury these feelings, fearing rejection or worse I would give into my feelings only lose you to the horrors we faced." silver tears ran down her soft cheek and she trembled at his touch, as he gently brushed away her tears.

"Their was never a right time," she whispered.

"But still I have not answered your question," she smiled looking deep into his eyes. "I love your strength, your courage, your patience, the way you speak your mind, you caution and even your dry wit. It matters not to me that you have one leg less than any other, it is what is in here and here," she whispered gently touching his head and his heart.

"You are beautiful to me my love," she gently told him.

"With you alone do I feel whole." She whispered as he pulled her gently into his tight embrace kissing her softly, as the kiss ended Taurėwen found herself needing her own question answered. Gently pulling back from his embrace she asked the one question that had tormented her since he had left.

"Why did you leave me?" her voice was but a whisper, her stomach knotted with fear, but her eyes shone with silent yearning to know his answer no matter what it may reveal.

[ October 28, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]