View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
No, not the fact of a ceremony, it seems that Tolkien is saying they did not have to have a ceremony at all, that the very act of sleeping with someone formed a marriage, so long as they mentioned the names of Varda, Manwe and Eru as they got on with it. ...... and if I am not mistaken, at one time non-consummation of a relationship was acceptable reason for a fully endorsed divorce? I think Henry VIII divorced Anne of Cleves quickly for this very reason.

Oh Lal I think the vows were at the feast before not during..... at least I hope so.....!!!!! That would be a bit weird but reminds me of a very rude joke .

Non-consummation is still grounds for annulment ... and ...well I remember quite an interesting case a few years ago regarding the validity of a Catholic marriage .. but if you want to know about that PM ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote