View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #465
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
I know the feeling...I spent an edgy day in school...

...I may or may not want a place in the next game, but I do have a suggestion for actual play that you guys might enjoy debating about/adapting for use here...

My friends have picked up the habit of playing werewolf in gmail since I enjoyed the first game here so much (well, reading the first game...). However since we've a rather smaller group of people to recruit players from it's hard for us to get to even 12 players and it quickly becomes boring because it's too easy for the werewolves. To make things more interesting we decided to add some special parts besides "werewolf" and "seer", I mentioned the three here ("hunter", "guardian", "cursed") and while the hunter was immediately voted down (we didn't want to kill more people than absoloutly necessary) everyoen liked the concept of having a guardian and/or a cursed villager. The biggest problem that everyone could see was that with an average of 10 players adding two new parts would make the game "too busy", so we're only adding one...the key being that nobody but the moderator (and, if we have one, the guardian) know which role is being used.

What we're doing is assigning roles such that when the moderator pulls roles out of a hat (I have very traditional friends) there are
2 cards that say "Werewolf"
1 card that says "Seer"
6 cards that say "Villager"
1 card that says "Cursed=heads, Guardian=tails"

so say the "cursed/guardian" card was pulled for me, our moderator would then flip a coin and if it was 'heads' I would be told I was a villager and would only learn elsewise if the werewolves killed me, if it was 'tails' I would be told I was the guardian and play accordingly.

The beauty of this is that the players can't figure out of they're trying to keep the wolves from a cursed villager or their guardian until it's too late...this keeps special stratagies based on the knowledge of both the guardian/cursed player's existance from being used and adds another element of mystery and confusion to the game...

Since here there isn't the same problem of getting enough players this may not be feasible with only three extra roles, but I figured that since our games are learning from your ideas I would share our ideas with you.