View Single Post
Old 06-19-2002, 10:05 PM   #388
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie swam around the hull of the vessel, and had poked amongst the hanging worm tails, but could not find Pio anywhere. "She must have climbed up a rope onto the ship," thought Birdie. She contemplated climbing up herself, but let this idea go for the moment. She had no sword on her, knew nothing about the ship, and did not know where her friends were at the moment.

Birdie backed up and popped her head out of the water, but could see nothing. Looking up at the hull of the massive vessel was like looking up the side of a cliff. She could see nothing on deck. It was still eerily quiet. What was going on? Birdie wished she could hear the thoughts of the Elf-Folk, like some of the halflings could under duress, but her mind had always been shut to such things.

Then, looking down again into the water, Birdie noticed something peculiar. The mass of ship worms seemed to be thinning. She realized that some of the worms had now completely eaten their way into the hull. Already? Just how fast could these creatures work. She had a feeling that these giant worms were doing the work of months in minutes.

Then Birdie's worst fears were confirmed. The ship was listing slightly to the left, and had settled slightly lower in the water.

It was already beginning to sink.

Birdie turned and fled back to the Mer-Man. he was now quite happily entertaining the bevy of Mer-Sprites with some sprightly repartee. Any thoughts of "class distinctions" seemed to have vanished as the aquatic roué seemed to have found a willing, worshipful audience. "Why of course I have met Ulmo personally! He has often stated that he wouldn't be able to accomplish half the things he does, were it not for me..."

"Excuse me, ladies. Please. If I may steal your new companion away for just a moment." Bird nudged the Mer-Man away from the flock of Mer-Sprites. Some pouted and sulked, a few bared their teeth at the morphed dolphin and hissed "Find your own, Grey-Back!"

Birdie nervously nudged the Mer-Man to the edge of the crowd and whistled urgently. "I think the ship is sinking! Just how fast were the worms supposed to break through the hull?"

"Oh, they couldn't have possibly broken through yet. Another hour or so at least"

"Look!" Birdie spun the Mer-Man around with her nose until he was facing the ship. There was no mistaking from this angle. The ship was definitely starting to list.

"Oh, dear," tsked the Mer-Man. "They must have been more ravenous than I thought."

"How long? How long will the ship stay afloat" keened Birdie

"Oh, not long at all, I'm afraid. Say - perhaps - one more hour 'til she slides to the bottom. Perhaps I overestimated the number of worms needed...?"

Birdie looked aghast at the great vessel. In one hour, their "army" would be fighting the Blue Wizards at the bottom of the sea.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]