View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #31
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Does anyone else think they listed Spinal Tap at 11 for the sake of a gag?
Indeed. Why it's not at number one is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron
I hadn't looked at the 25 New Music Classics previously. Now I wish I hadn't. But I am surprised no one complained that The Lord of the Rings Soundtrack was left off!

If this is what they consider a profoundly and 'culturally-impacting' music list (as opposed to actual great music, which it aint), then Western Civilization is further down the road to exctintion than I surmised (anyone know what time it is on the D-Day clock?).

Be that as it may, I am wondering how they could even list a superb album like Paul Simon's Graceland alongside a Beyonce album, or Cat Power next to Lauryn Hill's Miseducation (to be honest, I've never even heard of Cat Power-- although I recognize everything else on the list -- so much for culturally-impacting)? Does anyone really consider any Mariah Carey album having cultural or musical importance? Perhaps I'm becoming more like my parents (ie., old) in regards to distaste for certain genres of music, but was there a necessity to have Kayne West as a top 5 choice? *shrugs*
Had a look at that one too and while I enjoy both the number one (Prince's Purple Rain) and the number two (The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill) selections a lot I certainly wouldn't list the two as the most sublime music made in the past 25 years. I also happen to agree that Achtung Baby is U2's best work. The rest of the list is very peculiar though and it seems there's no real theme to the selections. They certainly haven't based it on artistic pedigree, as the likes of Shania Twain or Beyoncé can hardly qualify on this basis, cute as they are. Nor can it be based on cultural impact, since fex. Interpool or Cat Power hardly made any. Oh, I am familiar with Cat Power: she is a marginally talented but very much derivative indie-star, and whoever said she made one of the classic albums of the past 25 years is clearly out of his or her mind. Popularity and sales figures aren't it either. I suppose it's a purely subjective list made by people with questionable tastes. Perhaps there's a marketing twist to it that I don't get. Although I haven't seen the movie list I wouldn't give it much credence if it's anything like this one.

Last edited by skip spence; 03-07-2009 at 12:21 PM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote