View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #24
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
"Titanic," whether we like it or not, has had tremendous impact on the entertainment industry and on popular culture. So its inclusion here makes sense, 100%*
I am ambivalent about the film, but you will notice I did not include it in the ones I felt were out of place, but neither did I include it in the ones I truly cared for. I assigned it to purgatory, particularly because Celine Dion sang for it.

Quote:
"The fact that you would sneer at older women is no better than someone saying something like, "Oh they included LotR? I guess they need to keep the weird loser subcultures happy." It's using a stereotype, which is something you are far too intelligent for (and no, I don't mean that in a condescending, "awww look how smart you are" way).
You misunderstand me. I wasn't sneering at older women, rather, the three movies I cited seemed really out of place genre-wise with the rest of the movies chosen; therefore, the only feasible reason I could think of for their inclusion (other than their worth as films) was that EW felt they had to appease a certain demographic (and considering those were movies my mother and aunts liked, I chose an older demo -- I can't see them watching Pulp Fiction, Boogie Nights or The Matrix, although it would be hilarious to watch them watching the movies).

Quote:
"I'm saying all of this as someone who really likes a lot of what you have to say, Morthoron, and as someone who is sad to see the degeneration of this thread.
No specific demographic was harmed in the making of these posts; or actually, from what I've read of the replies, it seems I've insulted a wide spectrum of various demographics. At least I am consistent.