View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #12
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Nerewen..... if you go to other sites .... lets use theonering.com or theonering.net or board77 or halloffire or many others, you will find the opinion on the movies is not universal. I agree with that. But, and lets be frank here, there is a very loud contingent here who take real pride in putting on an air of superiority which goes something like this
*** we read Tolkien before Peter Jackson was born
*** we know more about Tolkien than most other people
*** we are above the crass commercialization of Hollywood film making
*** its the rest of the world that is badly out of step by embracing these films
*** poor Professor Tolkien was coerced by a bad evil government into making a bad deal to seel the film rights in the first place

Those ideas come through in many posts, from many people in many threads on this site.

Yes, I have read the posts and understand that many other EW selections on this list have been attacked. But is that not to give the tar and feather treatment to the very idea of putting LOTR on the list? After all, if you can show that there are silly or worthless selections on the list, then it also calls into doubt the inclusion of LOTR in such a lofty position doesn't it?

As I have stated, I return to this site again and again because it is a wonderful source of knowledge and information about Tolkien and his writings. There are many wonderful people here. But to deny the anit-film bias among a large crowd here is simply a denial of reality.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote