View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril Entertainment Weekly calls LOTR Trilogy second best movie of the past 25 years

In the recent issue of Entertainment Weekly, the staff indulges in a mad rank-a-thon where they deem the best 100 Movies, Books, Music, etc etc of the past 25 years. Or what they call "The New Classics." Pulp Fiction got their nod for the classicist new classic movie, and Lord of the Rings (as a whole) resides in the second spot.

Since I had nothing better to do than page through the whole magazine, I can say that many of their choices in all categories are, eeemmm... subjective at best (Amy Winehouse is in the top ten for both Music and Style, which begs the question, what kind of drugs is she buying the EW staff? But I digress) so I wouldn't exactly jump up and down and cheer at this distinction. Or put much weight behind it, really.

But it amused me. Here's what they had to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entertainment Weekly
Peter Jackson did the impossible. He filmed an unfilmable novel, he conjured a dark, ravishing vision all his own without desecrating J.R.R. Tolkien's, he made a nine-hour trilogy that truly lives and breathes like one movie, he got a riveting performance out of a slithery CG cave dweller with a split personality — and, what's more, he made fantasy a box office monster.
(If you click on the Photos tab you can read blurbs for all their selections.)

Last edited by Diamond18; 06-24-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: fixed link
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote