View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #20
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Jacksons attorneys used a figure of $4 billion US in revenues from the films and other sources. The Tolkien Estate figure of $6 billion is a good 33% higher than that. Why the difference?
The difference between US and worldwide.

Quote:
this is the first time I can remember hearing about a 7.5% profit sharing arrangement.
The existence of a percentage deal has been long known. The surprise to me at least was that it was gross rather than net- revenues not profits-- the latter being the usual Hollywood method of fobbing off authors with worthless promises. JRRT must have been too smart for that.

Quote:
They want to strip New Line of the rights to both LOTR and HOBBIT. Okay. They flex some legal muscle and show they are no pansies. But if those rights go back to Saul Zaentz and he is free to sell them to anyone else, how does the Estate profit from that? What do they gain?
If the Estate succeeds in having the court set aside New Line's license, then the rights should indeed revert to Zaentz. What the Estate gains is is not having the Hobbit rights in the hands of approved chiselers who can be expected to cheat them again.

However, I suspect that that part of the complaint is a tactical maneuver, the easier to leverage judicial or third-party oversight of the Hobbit movies' books.