View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
alatar - I agree that the years with Belushi were the very best on SNL.

from Gwathagor

Why would you post something so obviously rude? I enjoy honest discussion about the films, the author, the books and other Middle-earth issues. I respect the educated opinion of many here. I notice that I continually cross swords with people like davem, William Cloud Hicklin and even alatar in the distant past, but all have remained civil and have not resorted to telling me to leave. They deal with issues - not resorting to personal sniping.

Are you afraid of differing opinion?

I am rather confused about what is going on here in the minds of a couple of people.
I thought your prior comment was pretty disrespectful to Matt to be honest - i think its important not to take things so seriously and accept a bit of stick when it ventures your way that way nobody has to "cross swords".

As regards to Gimli, I'm not sure who mentioned the comic-relief element of his portrayal but i found it quite irritating. I know John Rhys Davies added alot to the comedy value of the character, with his own catchphrases and so on but it was a tad overdone in my opinion.

A viewer with no prior knowledge of the Fellowship would have thought Legolas to be a God, Boromir a loser, and Gimli a midget clown. Each is as ridiculous a notion as the last!

Anyway.. with the tomb of Balin, and the stationing on the Steward's chair. I never picked up on it foremost, though i guess it would have been "frown-worthy" to sit on the Steward's chair not being a Steward, sort of like sitting on our Queen's throne to a slightly lesser degree, which would, i believe, be a massive mark of disrespect.

I don't think the standing on Balin's tomb was so big a deal, after all - he was attempting to protect it with his life against the Troll and nasty Orcsssss.