View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #174
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
from WCH

Quote:
How dare you presume to comment on Tolkien if you actually think that Language is a 'very minor thing'?
You really get yourself worked up in quite a lather over nothing. But your righteous indignation only proves one thing. You have no idea what you are talking about. You seem to be under the delusion that we are arguing about the writings of Tolkien. The books. No way Jose. The discussion was about a line in a movie written by a screenwriter.

In case you have forgotten or never knew in the first place... a book is one thing and a film is quite another. Or maybe on some elemental level you knew it but just cannot accept the truth of it because it causes so many inner and intellectual conflicts.

And get ready to call the thought police. Because I dare. I dare over and over and over again. And when you tire of it. I will dare some more.

Sorry for the hyperbole but I am just trying to get into the spirit you showed here of going way over the top and being ridiculous.

Quote:
For Tolkien Language was the beginning and core of *everything.
Actually, language is one way to communicate meaning. And thats about it. Just because the author who wrote my favorite book believes something does not mean I suddenly convert to his value system. I will leave that to the True Believers, toadies and sycophants.

Quote:
Tell me, why the hell do you read Tolkien? Pearls before swine. Stick to David Eddings
And you went to college for how many years to be able to express yourself like that? Now I completely understand all those sardonic lawyer jokes. Swine indeed!

Quote:
Their little gold statue is to my mind about as meaningful as a painting award from the Black Velvet Artists' Guild.
Again, your own statements show your lack of knowledge. It matters not if you do not have any respect for the Oscars. The film making world certainly does. And that is what this thread is all about movies.

You wanna play nice - we can play nice. You wanna be a jerk - we can do it that way too. I prefer nice. How about you?

Last edited by Sauron the White; 01-15-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote