View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #36
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hallo, all! I’ve just read over (most) everybody’s character bio’s and first posts. This looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun. Lot of good writers.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Perky Ent:
Anyone else need information on your character? Please speak up, as I love giving out this kind of info
Yes, I do have some question about my character...I guess they’re probably a lot of the same question Alcarillo will be asking.

Firstly, about the ship. I’m playing the part of a Sea Captain. Therefore, I’m assuming that my ship is generally out at sea. Most of my knowledge of ships have to do with an 1814 frigate, or man-of-war. Needless to say, there are going to be many differences between those sorts of ships and the type that I’ll be writing about (mainly because we don’t have cannons in Middle-Earth), but I wouldn’t be surprised if the ship that I’m to captain has maybe three masts, as the frigates did. So, my question is, is my ship going to be like a frigate with three masts and square sails (except for a few, which were triangle).

Another question - what’s the Navy discipline like? I’m assuming that I’m on a ship from the navy...I don’t think that a merchant ship would be much good in this war.

How many people are going to be on board? What’s the usual crew number?

In ME (poor Perky...hope all these questions don’t bother you a terrible amount), would they have all of the other warrant officers? Sailing Master, Left Tenant, so forth and so on. Perhaps under slightly different names, but still holding the same responsibility?

Quite simply with all my questions rolled into one - what are the details of Gondorian ships and their navy? (Navy seems like a very Earth like word, though.)

Or, better yet, perhaps you could give me something that I could read for research on this subject.

Hope I’m not a bother. And I’m still working on my bio and such.

-- Folwren