View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 02:03 AM   #34
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
At the very bottom of the ship is where the ~200 slaves are. They have no replacements, and are constantly rowing (except when they get a few hours of sleep).
I imagined so too, until I read Ben-Hur. And now I'm confused. I mean, Corsair ships must be constantly on the move if to elude pursuit, and who's going to row while the slaves are sleeping? And in Ben-Hur, a harsh division has been to 'Put on and take off every two hours'. I was going to mention that, but then decided that any reference to non-LOTR books might just get me more reprimands. So, yeah. But your word is the law, Perky. Will go by that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
slaves have the option of several conflicts: Character vs Self, Character vs Character, Character vs Enviroment, Character vs Society, etc. Slaves are really fun to play, as you have so many options you can take!
Here I wish I had experience in roleplaying games, because I don't get what you are saying. Just shows my ignorance, I suppose. Or maybe my question wasn't that logical either. What can a single thrall do to turn the tides of war? Or there'd be little point in there being a slave role at all, if the characters as a slave do not take active role in the whole war itself, not only in a small scale. Especially as they are seriously restricted if other characters, those in power, e.g. slave master, do not open a way for them for action. Or the slave paragraphs are only going to be long monologues, or long futile conversation between two slaves. It would not be exactly fair, for instance, if the two slaves took over the ship or sunk the ship or set fire to it. It won't be realistic either. I guess I'm not making any sense.

Anyway, maybe when I read through that roleplay, I'll know better. And no, I haven't seen the movie.

PS. I've seen the roleplay. While it is amazing, as the slaves are at the center of the roleplay at that game, I guess it doesn't have the problem I have.

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 10-04-2005 at 02:09 AM.