Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Leaf

PLACED ON DISCUSSION THREAD ~*~ PIO

Firefoot's Character Proposal Sheet

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RPG's I'm currently involved in: Island of Sorrow, Red Flows the Sirannon

RPG's I've played in: Bloodstained Elanor, Seekers of Truth, Siege of Gundabad, Sailing Away, Shadow of the West

And yes, I've posted in the Green Dragon.

~*~*~*~

NAME: Menelcar (King’s advisor/record keeper)

RACE: Man of Gondor

WEAPONS: Though rarely necessary in these days as the king’s advisor, Menelcar still regularly bears a sword, mostly out of habit from his days in the army. (In this campaign, of course, he might very well need it.) He is also proficient with a bow and can handle most other weapons with reasonable skill.

APPEARANCE: Númenorean blood runs nearly true in him, and it shows. He is tall, about 6’4”; his hair is shoulder-length and black as a raven’s wing; his eyes are grey and clear. He would be quite handsome if it weren’t for a certain hardness and arrogance in his features. He carries himself nobly and not without pride. His clothing is unremarkable except in its fine quality.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Menelcar’s intelligence is above average; this is one trait he has shown even as a very young boy. In addition to being smart, he was also good at just about whatever he put his mind to (those things he wasn’t good at, he sooner or later quit), and he began to think of himself as better than others. This was aided along by his family and heritage: he was born into a wealthy, noble family and is of nearly pure Númenorean descent. As a result, he has never been very social, preferring to keep to himself. There have been very few people he has ever been able to call a friend; the king is one of them. He holds his friends in high esteem, but generally looks down upon all others.

Though skilled in weaponry and horseback riding, neither has ever been his favorite. What he really loves are history and reading and writing, and in writing he has found his freedom. The thoughts that he would never confide to another person are regularly recorded in a journal. The job of record keeper and advisor to the king came naturally to him; there is little else that he would ever care to do.

HISTORY: Menelcar was born the middle child and second son of a noble family. Even as a child, he was a loner having few or no close friends. He was thought of as a bit odd for spending so much time by himself, especially in contrast to his older brother, who was, if slightly less talented, a great deal more social and well-liked by most everyone, in addition to being the more handsome. Menelcar was originally envious of his brother’s easy way with people, but what attempts he did make to fit in invariably failed to a greater or lesser extent, causing Menelcar to retreat more and more inside himself. He comforted himself by telling himself that he was better than they were anyway, that he didn’t need them, and the former at least was true in many ways. Eventually he came to wholly believe these things.

As he got older, he had no care to be married, and as the second son he was under no obligation to do so. Instead, he did the next logical thing for one of a noble house and joined the army. Though he had no particular care for weaponry and fighting, it was at any rate better than the social life that he might otherwise be expected to lead.

It was in these years of fighting that Menelcar met Telumehtar, then the prince, when he returned his sword to him. The two quickly came to an understanding which developed into a fast friendship such as Menelcar had never before or since experienced. When Telumehtar became king, Menelcar was the natural choice for a record keeper and advisor, and Menelcar readily gave up the army for the new position.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefoot's post

It was with great impatience that Menelcar had awaited Telumehtar’s arrival. His impatience was not with the king himself, precisely, but he had been at the harbor since early that morning overseeing the muster and organization of the troops while the king took care of last minute preparations inside the city. He cared for this part of his job the least, for he disliked, nay, despised, dealing with people. This sentiment only compounded with so many people needing instructions at the same time. He had to direct the many captains to the ships that would transport them, as well as answer any questions that they or the ships’ captains might have. The job was necessary but tedious, and Menelcar had long since wearied of it. His mount, a restive bay stallion, seemed to concur.

The king’s arrival heartened Menelcar greatly; it meant they would be departing soon, and he would no longer be plagued by the many questions and problems of the soldiers. He nudged the horse forward to meet the king, threading his way through the busy harbor as quickly as he could manage. However, he was interrupted before he could get very far by yet another inquisitive captain; his uniform proclaimed him to be from Dol Amroth.

“Yes?” asked Menelcar curtly.

“I am Captain Baranor, out of Dol Amroth,” said the man, clearly unsure of how to take his brusque manner. “It seems that we brought a few more men than we had originally estimated; our assigned ships will be loaded full and there are still about twenty more men than the ships’ captains say that the boats will safely hold.”

Menelcar barely stifled an irritated sigh and dug out of his pocket the little book in which he was keeping the details of the attack. He scanned the ship assignments and wrote a note of the captain’s situation. “There should be some extra space with the soldiers from Anfalas. If not, check with those from Morthond. Do so quickly; we will be departing soon now that the king has arrived.”

“Thank you, milord,” said the captain with a salute. Menelcar paid no heed; he had already begun to ride off, scanning the harbor for Telumehtar, whom he had lost sight of while speaking with the captain. The king would be looking for him by now, no doubt. The soldiers milling about had parted to let the king pass through, and Menelcar took advantage of the more open space, nudging his horse into a dignified canter to catch up. The stallion took the extra rein eagerly after having stood around for so long.

“You were looking for me?” asked Menelcar as he drew even with Telumehtar. “Do not think I would not be here before you left!”

Telumehtar turned in recognition of the voice: “Menelcar! Trusty as ever! We will have time for pleasantries later, but I have more important matters to attend to. Where are my men? Where are my captains? My soldiers? My kingdom?”

“I should hope you know where your kingdom is by now,” commented Menelcar, smiling in spite of himself. “As for the rest of it, many of the soldiers are already aboard their ships. These rest ought to know where they’re heading by now, or their captains do.” Quickly he outlined the organization of the soldiers – where the units from the various regions of Gondor were situated and so on. “We will be traveling in that ship, there-” Menelcar pointed to a fine ship a short way down the harbor. “I have spoken with the captain of the ship; he seemed very eager to make sure all was in line for your arrival,” he added with a hint of contempt. The captain had spoken with him several times that day, to the point of being bothersome. “It should not be much more than an hour before we are ready to set sail; they mostly await your order.”

~*~~*~*~*~~*~*

I just approved Folwren's playing of the other captain! (s)he will be joining our crew as soon as he gets everything written up!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-04-2005 at 07:14 PM.