Thread: Resistance RPG
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 03:01 PM   #39
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Pio's post - Assiram - Oct. 30th - evening

The sun hung on the western rim of the world, slipping slowly down below it in a blaze of gold. Assiram, Helios and Ahriman pulled their mounts into a small dell tucked into the rolling hills just east of Tookland. They had dropped off the main road just west of Woodhall and made their way through the forested hills toward Tuckkburrough.

In the light cast by the small fire they built, Assiram crouched down and drew a map for his companions. Using a stick cut for kindling, he scratched an ‘X’ to show there present position. ‘Just about ten miles north ‘a here,’ he said, ‘is the Three-farthing Stone. We’re still in the South Farthing section of the Shire, just a short ways from the boundary to the West Farthing.’ He drew a straight line from their camp to another ‘X’ he had marked west of it. ‘Now this here’s where we’re goin’ to get to tomorrow. Called Tuckburrough. Some of the Shire Rats who think they’re important in these parts hole up there.’ Assiram drew a circle around Tuckburrough, as Ahriman and Helios drew in closer to take a look at their goal.

Ahriman cocked his head this way and that at the map. ‘What’s so important about a collection of the little fur-footed runts?’ The man rocked back on his heels, and pulled out his knife. ‘Nothing my little sweethearts here can’t whittle down to size,’ he continued, drawing out his other one.

Assiram glared at him. ‘We’re not killin’ anyone unless we have to. We got to find the old guy – the one that runs the place. He’s got gold socked away in the hills. He’s rich and so’s his family. We’re gonna hold ‘em for ransom . . . as much gold as we can wring outta them. We’ll be rich men by the time we’re through with the Took family.’ He looked slyly at his companions. ‘Ferny says we can keep all the gold we can get our hands on.’ He snickered at the prospect of getting it. ‘And while we’re at it, he wants us to teach them rebellious little squirts some manners!’

The group ate a hasty supper – leftovers from The Golden Perch and were just settling down for some sleep, when Assiram’s voice drifted over the lulling night sounds. ‘Oh, yeah . . . I forgot to tell you. Ferny’s sent those shiriff’s to meet us somewhere near Tuckborough. They’re supposed to be helping us. Keep yer eyes peeled for any sign of them.’

The other two grunted at his words, then one of them spoke up. ‘Be just like the little cowards to leave us high and dry now, wouldn’t it?’ There were sounds of assent, as the other followed up on his companions words. ‘Well, help us or no, I’m not sharin’ any ‘a my takings with ‘em!’

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link