Thread: Resistance RPG
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 03:17 PM   #15
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

October 28- Late Afternoon

Halfway through eating his afternoon tea Paladin suddenly jumped to his feet.

"Eglantine, I didn't explain to those volunteers exactly what they would be doing!"

Eglantine sighed and bent down to pick up the plate he had knocked over in his haste. Paladin began to pace up and down the room.

"How could I let them agree to something that they don't even understand?" he asked worriedly.

"Well sweetheart" began Eglantine rocking back on her heels "there's another day until they have to go. Perhaps you could at least finish your food?"

"No, no" answered Paladin. "I could never eat while I'm this worried."

Eglantine watched him with a smile and folded arms.

"Oh, very well" he answered and sat down. "If you insist."

"Josh, may Paladin speak to you?"

Josh looked up from the remnants of his afternoon tea to see his Aunt Eglantine smiling at him. Looking past her he an older Hobbit.

Josh nodded and stood up, then followed Eglantine and the others to where another older Hobbit was sitting.
After collecting this older Hobbit they didn't move for a while. Josh looked up to see Eglantine shaking her head and tutting.
"What is it, Aunt Eglantine?" he asked, worried for a moment.
"The fourth and fifth members of your party aren't here" she answered slowly. "Well, Paladin will have to be satisfied with three. From what I've heard of Tim Bracegirdle he won't opt out of this journey because of Paladin's dire warnings of imminent danger. I don't know about the young lass."

Josh looked at her in surprise. This was why they were being summoned? To be given the choice of giving up? He didn't know whether to be more insulted that Paladin thought he would or that Eglantine also thought that Tim Bracegirdle was less likely to give up than him. He settled on the easier solution of being angry at Tim as the root cause, and followed Eglantine to Paladin with his blood boiling. Beneath the anger he felt a pang of regret that the lass wasn't around. She really was very very pretty.

Once they arrived at the small living room he gazed around, forgetting his anger in a moment. He remembered this room from a few years ago. Quickly he dashed towards a wooden bench, nearly pushing one of the older Hobbits out of the way. He tutted, and Josh felt he should apologise but didn't want to have to explain. As everyone else settled he bent back and tried to look discreetly at the back of the bench. Yes, there it was:
Pippin, Merry, Everard, Fredegar, Ferdibrand, Hermand, Josh, Ally- Halimath 1413

"Josh?"
Paladin's voice cut into Josh's thoughts and he twisted himself upright so fast he nearly fell off the bench. With red cheeks he stared intently at Paladin, who began to speak.

"I thought I should tell you exactly what will be expected of you, so that you can make an educated decision whether you want to withdraw your participation in this mission. You will be setting off the day after tomorrow, and journeying through Green Hill country (for as you know the roads in and out of the Tookland are watched) towards the Shirebourn. Then you will meet the road, far enough away from the Tookland for safety, I hope. You will reach Longbottom and find a farm to trade with. It may take more than one visit to find a farmer willing to deal with you. Then you will come back. If some of the farmers who you have been to report you to those abominations who call themselves "Shirriffs" you may be followed, so you will have to wary. I will expect you back on the fifth day. Does anyone wish to leave the party?"

Josh waited, and everyone stayed silent. He certainly would not withdraw, and those Shirriffs had better watch out if they came up against him! Still everyone was silent.

"Very well" answered Paladin. This would seem a good chance to get to know each other. I shall leave you here."

As Paladin walked out of the room, followed by Eglantine, Josh looked around at his companions.
"Hello" he said, with an uncertain smile.

[ September 09, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link