View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 11:37 AM   #13
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

28 October

Durelin's post

"But honey-cake!" cried Dury, trying his best to look pathetic. His wife only stared at him. Her fists were planted on her hips, and she wore a scowl, but her eyes glittered with a certain fondness for her husband. Dury had always hoped that that fondness would come through in her actions, but he was fairly sure that his hope was in vain.
"Honey-cake?!" Dury winced at her angry shout. "Is your mind always a'lying in your stomach, Dury Greenhand?"

"Why no, muf-…uh…my dear wife. I just wanted to make sure you made it right and all, you know tha--"

"You quit worrying over whether I make my plum cakes right or not, my dear husband. Worry isn't any good for the soul."

Dury mumbled something incoherent and stalked off, as much as a hobbit can stalk, to go sit in his cushioned chair. "Play with Mirdy while you have your smoke!" came Mirda's voice from back in the kitchen. Dury sighed heavily, plopping down in his chair to stare dejectedly at his feet. Mirda came hurrying into the doorway of their little parlor, hands folded at her waste, now, and her eyes no longer glittering, but looking worried, sad, and sympathetic all at the same time. She frowned at the back of her husband's chair. "I-I'm sorry, dear. I always forget, and…but it has been over two months hasn't it." She said the last part under her breath. There was no use reminding her poor husband that they had been out of any leaf at all for such a long time. "Its alright dear," Dury answered her half-heartedly.

Shaking her head sadly, Mirda turned to go back to the kitchen, ignoring the little thing with dark curls that brushed past her skirts. "And dear?" came Dury's gloomy voice. Mirda stopped but did not turn around. "Did you hear?"

"Yes. The Tooks are being guarded."

Dury grunted. "Perhaps…no."

"Yes dear. Perhaps you should. Do something."

He grunted again, though this time it was more of a groan.

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]