View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 11:33 AM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

28 October

Lyra's post - Paladin

Paladin gazed with ill-concealed annoyance into the little container half full of the best Longbottom Leaf.

“Eglantine!” he called towards an open, round door.

“Yes Paladin?” His wife answered as she bustled cheerfully into the room.

“My tobacco box has not been filled. It’s less than halfway full.” Eglantine fidgeted with her gown, eyes suddenly fixed on the floor at her feet.

“Eglantine?” Paladin asked in a commanding voice, irritation growing.
Why in Heaven’s name is she acting like young Pippin after one of his scrapes? he wondered grimly.

“Well, my love…You see…” her voice trailed off.

“Come, Eglantine! Surely you don’t think I will bite your head off?” Once again she shifted uneasily.

“No of course not.” She replied doubtfully. “You see Paladin, the thing is- you’ve run out”

“What?”

“It’s those ruffians. They don’t allow trade of tobacco. We’ve haven’t had any new supplies for quite some time. For the last few weeks you’re the only person who has actually had any.”

Paladin sat slowly onto his old chair. That’s all there is left? he thought disbelievingly.

There hasn’t been a shortage of Leaf since…there hasn’t been a shortage of Leaf! And they have been going without, for me. Even Adelard, I suppose! Anger bubbled to the surface. Those...men. We have to get rid of them. Coming in, changing things. Setting up that Sackville-Baggins as chief. Sackville-Baggins! I ask you, what’s wrong with traditions? The Thain has always been in charge, if anyone has to be. And the Master, in Buckland, I suppose. Sackville-Baggins. It’s not even a proper name! Baggins, yes, and even Sackville is a respectable-

“Paladin?” His wife’s voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked up. Her cheerful face was creased in worry.

“Eglantine. This has gone on for quite long enough. It’s time we showed them that Tooks will not stand for this nonsense, whatever Grubbs or Hardbottles may do. We need more Leaf. I’ll lead a party to-”

He broke off. Eglantine had, if anything, become more agitated.
“Paladin” she began slowly “Are you sure? You were always very adventurous, but don’t you think you’re perhaps…a little old?”

He looked at her sternly, then sighed. “Maybe I am at that” he admitted with a sigh, then squeezed her hand. “Well, then. Let us find some younger volunteers. Where is everyone?”

Eglantine gave him a very pointed look. “Most are eating Elevenses, Paladin.”
”Of course, of course” Paladin murmured absently “Good, good. I’ll announce it in the Dining Hall.”

Paladin walked to the front of the great dining hall slowly. It was almost completely full, and yet he knew many Hobbits were not there. There had always been many Tooks, but now they were joined by huge numbers of Hobbits who had come because only the Tooks were doing anything against the enemy. The enemy of ALL Hobbits. Paladin had had to make some hard decisions, not least the order to kill trespassers. It was always hard for a Hobbit to kill. He could understand why others had decided to put up with the occupation, but it was not in him to accept it. Everyone had to make their own choices.

The noise had died down a little on his entrance, which simply meant that Paladin could hear himself think. Speaking was another matter entirely. With a smile he picked up the heavy bell that had been lying on the top table for centuries. As long as anyone could remember it had been rung to give the news of births, deaths and marriages in the Took family. He could still remember picking it up the first time to present himself as Thain. Recently though, Paladin had used it in more serious ways- announcing his intention to oppose the invasion, giving permission to raid the dwellings and holds of the men, and ordering the death of trespassing men. It was rumoured that it had been given to the Oldbucks by the King himself, and in those days it had certainly been used for purposes like to the ones Paladin now put it to. He was proud, in a way, to be upholding the traditions of his ancestors. Yet he would swap it all to return to his previous quiet life. And the return of his son. And a batch of good Longbottom Leaf. Deliberately he rang the bell, and silence fell.

“By the sounding of the bell I call to the notice of the Took clan a matter of grave importance.” Paladin began with the traditional words. “Listen well and tell anyone who is not here, that all will hear my words.”

Here tradition ended. Paladin was grateful that his ancestors, or the Oldbucks, had had as little desire for speeches as Hobbits of today.

“My dear Tooks” he began, from his own head “and all honoured friends. I will not make a long speech. As you all know, I am an old man” He looked significantly at Eglantine, who was standing near the entrance smiling. “and all old men have certain…caprices. Friends, we have run out of Leaf. I would call upon a number of our young Hobbits to go and get some for me and my fellow old men, who, I understand, have been going without for some weeks. I ask this not only for my own gratification, but also because the interlopers have no right to disrupt our traditions. Will any volunteers please come to my study this afternoon.”

Paladin waited for the reaction. There was a few moments silence, then a thunderstorm of clapping. There was even some cheering. He smiled a satisfied smile. Yes- you could depend on Hobbits, in the end.

The first young Hobbit into his study was a lad Paladin knew very well, his nephew Josias. The name still made Paladin smile, for this scruffy lad hardly seemed to suit it. He had lived at the Smials for some years, being taught with young Peregrin and Pervinca. Finally Emmie, the sister next-older than Paladin and the tattle-tale bane of his childhood, had taken him away for fear that he was being corrupted by his cousin’s influence. Paladin very much feared that the damage had already been done, and felt it served Emmie very well. Josh had always been in awe of Pippin, and done his best to keep up with his, and young Meriadoc Brandybuck’s, pranks. Indeed, Emmie’s taking him back to Buckland could only have brought him into more contact with Meriadoc, who could have had very little as a stabilising influence. Still, Josh was a good lad. He impressed Paladin talking of his desire to rid the Shire of those men and his wish for adventure. Paladin could remember feeling similarly himself. No doubt it was inspired, at least in part, by Pippin’s going off for adventure. Paladin nodded briskly: yes, the lad would do very well. He had excelled himself in some of the raids.

“Very well lad” He cut off Josh’s flow of speech. “I will entrust you with charge of this expedition, but make sure you listen to advice. I have found that to be the secret of leadership. I want you to go to Longbottom- you know the way by the Shirebourn do you not?”

Josh nodded eagerly.

“Good, good. I want you to try to keep out of the way of everyone. No attempted heroics. I think there will be time enough for that soon. Well, go and prepare. Send in the next, won’t you”

“Thank you very much, Uncle Paladin” the lad answered, his eyes shining.
I hope you will be as happy afterwards, Paladin thought with a sigh, knitting his hands together as he watched the boy walk out. Hard decisions…

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]